This creamy cajun pasta with chicken sausage is an easy and delicious weeknight dinner idea that you can make with just one pot.
If you are looking to switch up your typical pasta with marinara sauce dinner, this is perfect. It’s spicy, creamy and filled with protein and veggies.
Plus, if you don’t like creamy pasta, simply omit the cream cheese! I tried this out with my boyfriend and he loved it (so I know you will too).
Ingredients for Creamy Cajun Pasta
Before you make this recipe, make sure you have all the ingredients you need. All of them are essential to making this recipe as delicious as possible.
- Chicken sausage: any variety works for, but andouille is the best
- Onion: any variety works fine
- Bell peppers: I like using red and green peppers
- Olive oil
- Pasta: I used penne, but any shape is fine
- Fire roasted tomatoes: canned, I blend them for a few seconds to get rid of the chunks
- Chicken broth: I recommend using low sodium
- Cajun seasoning: creole works fine as well
- Cream cheese
What kind of chicken sausage works best?
You can use any chicken sausage you prefer, but personally I love using andouille chicken sausage (if you can find it). If you don’t have any access to this variety, I like a garlic chicken sausage as well.
If you don’t like chicken sausage, you can also substitute chicken breast or regular sausage. Just make sure whatever you choose is fully cooked!
What makes this pasta creamy?
The cream cheese is what makes this pasta creamy. It also adds a bit of a tanginess that pairs perfectly with this recipe. If you don’t like any tangy flavor, you can add a splash of cream. That being said, it will make the pasta more liquidy, less thick.
Is this recipe spicy?
Yes! The cajun seasoning will make this recipe nice and spicy. It also adds a lot of flavor. If you don’t like spicy food, you can always use half the amount of seasoning in this recipe.
What cajun seasonings are the best?
Here are a few cajun or creole seasoning mixes that have the best rating and would work great in this recipe:
I do make a small commission if you purchase using these links.
Do you need to precook the pasta?
No! The beauty of this dish is that it is all made in one pot, meaning you don’t need to boil the pasta beforehand. Simply saute the chicken sausage and peppers and onions, throw in the tomatoes, chicken broth and pasta, bring to a boil and everything should cook together.
That’s why this recipe is so easy. It’s simple and doesn’t require a ton of random steps and pre-preparation. No need to precook the pasta!
Is this a one pot recipe?
Yes! Everything cooks in one pot in this recipe, which is what makes it so great (in my humble opinion). Simple cooking process and minimal cleaning. What else could you ask for?
Is this recipe healthy?
It depends on your personal health goals and medical conditions. But, this recipe is filled with various essential nutrients that can help prevent nutrient deficiencies.
This cajun pasta with chicken sausage is an excellent source of B vitamins, folate, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, selenium and zinc. It’s also a good source of vitamin E, vitamin K, iron and magnesium.
This recipe is rather high in sodium, so if you have a medical condition where you need to limit sodium intake, this may not be the best recipe for you.
But, you can make a few swaps if you want to make this recipe lower in sodium. Choose a low sodium chicken broth, a low sodium cajun seasoning and choose chicken breast instead of chicken sausage.
Creamy Cajun Pasta with Chicken Sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 chicken sausage sliced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 8 oz pasta uncooked
- 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes blended until smooth
- 2 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 2 oz cream cheese low fat
- In a medium sized pot, saute the chicken sausage in the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once browned, add onion and bell pepper. Continue to sautee until softened.
- Add cajun seasoning, pasta, fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
- Turn the heat to medium high heat, cover and wait until mixture is boiling. Turn heat down to medium low and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until pasta is soft.
- Add cream cheese and mix until evenly distributed. Then enjoy!