These caramelized bananas are perfect topper for a variety of dishes such as ice cream, pancakes, waffles and more. They are super easy to make and are a perfect way to use up those bananas that have been sitting on the counter for days.
Ingredients for Caramelized Bananas
- Bananas: ripe, but not overly ripe since they need to be somewhat firm
- Brown sugar: coconut sugar also works well
- Butter: coconut oil works too, but I prefer the taste of butter
- Cinnamon: optional, but adds a really nice flavor
How to make Caramelized Bananas
Step 1: Peel and slice bananas into ½ inch thick slices.
Step 2: Place a medium sized pan over medium heat. Once warm, add butter.
Step 3: Once coconut oil is melted, add brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until melted.
Step 4: Add banana slices. Fry for several minutes and flip. Once both sides of the banana slices are golden brown, remove from the pan and serve.
What to pair with this recipe
There are several different ways you can serve these caramelized bananas. Here are a few items to pair your bananas with:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Toast with peanut butter
- Banana bread
- Banana smoothie
- Greek yogurt
How to store the leftovers
If you have leftover bananas, simply store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator. To reheat them, I recommend heating them back up in a pan, air fryer or oven. This ensures they stay nice and crispy (instead of mushy on the outside).
The pan will get sticky and hard to clean if you leave it out for a while after cooking. I highly recommend cleaning it with some warm soapy water to remove the sugary coat so you don’t have to deal with it later on.
Also, I would recommend eating the bananas right away instead of letting them sit out. They tend to get soggy rather quickly. Plus, they are so much better hot and crispy!
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and slice bananas into ½ inch thick slices.
- Place a medium sized pan over medium heat. Once warm, add butter.
- Once coconut oil is melted, add brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until melted.
- Add banana slices. Fry for several minutes and flip. Once both sides of the banana slices are golden brown, remove from the pan and serve.