I love a good appetizer, and these crispy loaded potato bites are just that! Perfect for game day or a family BBQ.
Who doesn’t love potatoes? Baked potatoes, potato chips, french fries, tater tots, mashed potatoes, you really can’t go wrong when it comes to potatoes!
These crispy loaded potato bites are another great example of how you can use potatoes to make a delicious snack or side dish.
Along with this, potatoes are quite nutritious and provide a variety of nutrients that help our body run everything smoothly (and give you some extra energy too!).
Ingredients in Crispy Loaded Potato Bites
I love this recipe because you can really switch it up based on your own personal preferences. You can really make it your own.
- Large potatoes
- Olive oil
- Cheddar cheese
- Bacon: I like using turkey bacon, but any type of bacon will do
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream (optional): you can sub this for plain greek yogurt
- Chives (optional): green onion works well too!
You can omit or add ingredients based on your own personal preference. Personally, I skip the sour cream because I’m not a huge fan of the flavor, but I never skip the chives!
Tip: Green onions can be used instead of chives!
What kind of potatoes should I use?
I personally use Russet potatoes for this recipe, but any large potato will do since you will be cutting them into slices. Since you want a good surface area for each bite, large potatoes work best for these potato bites.
Idaho potatoes or sweet potatoes are good examples of large potatoes that would work well with this recipe. Use whatever you have on hand or whatever you prefer the taste of.
How to make Crispy Loaded Potato Bites
This recipe is pretty easy to throw together and is a great snack to bring to a family get together or game day!
Step 1: Cut potatoes into half inch thick slices. Add to a large mixing bowl and coat with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 2: Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Arrange so the separate potato slices don’t overlap each other. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
Step 3: While potato slices are baking, fry bacon. Dice jalapeño in small pieces and fry in the bacon grease until slightly browned. Let bacon cool and dice into small pieces.
Step 4: Top the potato slices with jalapeño, bacon bits and shredded cheese and add back into the oven for a few minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Step 4: Add sour cream and chives on each individual potato slice. Then enjoy!
How should I store the leftovers?
If you do happen to have leftovers of this recipe, simply transfer to an airtight container and should keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Ideally, if you know you are going to have leftovers, avoid adding the toppings right away. Instead, add them after you reheat the leftovers.
The best way to reheat leftovers is in the oven or air fryer. For the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and heat until warmed through (probably around 10-15 minutes). If you use the air fryer, heat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 4-6 minutes. Then add the toppings.
These potato bites can also be reheated in the microwave, but they may come out a little soggy and flimsy.
You can also try storing the leftovers in the freezer. You should still put them in an airtight container, but also separate each potato bite with parchment paper to avoid them freezing together. You may need to add a few extra minutes when reheating.
If you tried out this recipe and liked it, please comment below and share. Also remember to tag me on Instagram and TikTok!
Cheesy Jalapeño Potato Bites
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 pieces bacon cut into small pieces
- 2 jalapenos diced
- sour cream optional
- chives optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice large potatoes into half inch thick slices. Add to a large mixing bowl and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Arrange slices so they don't overlap. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- While potatoes are baking, fry bacon in a medium skillet. Set aside. Fry diced jalapeno in the bacon grease (add olive oil if needed) until slightly browned. Dice bacon into small pieces once cooked.
- Once potato slices are done baking, add bacon, jalapeno and cheddar cheese and put back into the oven for several minutes (until cheese is melted). Every piece should get a 1/4 slice of cheddar.
- Top with sour cream and chives. Serve and enjoy!