This roasted parmesan asparagus with breadcrumbs is a perfect vegetable side dish for any meal and actually tastes good.
The way the breadcrumbs become super toasty and crisp in the oven is heavenly. Plus, the parmesan adds some wonderful umami flavor to the dish.
If you don’t already love asparagus, I promise this recipe will turn you into an asparagus lover. It’s super easy to throw together and makes eating vegetables way more fun.
Ingredients for Roasted Parmesan Breadcrumb Asparagus
- Asparagus spears: be sure to trim the ends and wash the asparagus before roasting them.
- Bread crumbs: I recommend unseasoning bread crumbs for this recipe. If you use seasoned breadcrumbs, leave out the seasonings in the recipe.
- Parmesan cheese: I use the grated stuff in the jar. It’s cheaper and lasts for a while in the refrigerator.
- Salt and pepper: to taste, depending on your personal preference.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil: You can also use canola or vegetable oil if that’s all you have in your pantry. But, I do love the flavor olive oil brings into this dish.
How to prep the asparagus before cooking it
Before cooking the asparagus, be sure to chop off the ends. They are pretty tough and will be difficult to chew, even when cooked.
Also, I would recommend giving them a nice rinse and pat them dry. You don’t have to wash them with soap or anything extra. Running them under water is just fine.
Should I soak asparagus before roasting?
You do not need to soak your asparagus before roasting for this recipe. They do just fine in the oven without soaking, soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
How long to bake the asparagus for
You will need to bake the asparagus for about 10 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Depending on your oven, you may need to bake it for longer or a shorter amount of time.
I recommend taking the asparagus out of the oven when the breadcrumb mixture is brown and crispy, but not burnt. At this point, the asparagus will be fully cooked and nicely crisped on the outside.
How to make Roasted Parmesan Asparagus
Step 1: In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, olive oil and spices. Mix until evenly distributed.
Step 2: Cut the ends off the asparagus and rinse with cold water to remove excess dirt. Pat dry and transfer to a baking dish.
Step 3: Lightly coat the asparagus with olive oil. Evenly distribute the asparagus on the baking sheet and sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the asparagus.
Step 4: Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy, but not burnt. Remove from the oven and serve with a protein and grain to make a complete meal.
Is this a healthy vegetable side dish recipe?
This roasted parmesan breadcrumb asparagus is nutrient dense, fun vegetable side dish option. It is high in vitamins and minerals, healthy fats and even contains some gut healthy fiber.
One serving of this dish is an excellent source of thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), folate, vitamin K, vitamin E and selenium. It is a good source of the remaining B vitamins, vitamin C, calcium, iron, potassium and zinc.
It also contains about 3 grams of fiber and about 7 grams of unsaturated fats (healthy fats). Surprisingly, one serving also contains about 9 grams of protein, much higher than a typical vegetable side dish.
How to store the leftovers
If you have leftovers, I recommend storing them in an airtight container in your refrigerator. The leftovers should last about 3-4 days.
When you are ready to eat your leftovers, I recommend throwing them back into the oven to crisp up again. If you reheat them in the microwave, the breadcrumbs will likely become soft and soggy, which is no fun.
- Texas Caviar (Cowboy Caviar)
- Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- Roasted Carrots and Green Beans
- Cheesy Jalapeno Potato Bites
- Mango Pico de Gallo
If you liked this recipe, please comment and rate below. Also, be sure to share your creation on TikTok and/or Instagram and tag me @tasteitwithtia. I want to see your creations!
Roasted Parmesan Breadcrumb Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed and rinsed
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Preheat the oven for 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, grated parmesan cheese, olive oil and spices. Mix until evenly distributed.
- Cut the ends off the asparagus and rinse with cold water to remove excess dirt. Pat dry and transfer to a baking dish.
- Lightly coat the asparagus with olive oil. Evenly distribute the asparagus on the baking sheet and sprinkle bread crumb mixture over the asparagus.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are crispy, but not burnt. Remove from the oven and enjoy.